[SWLUG] how hard can it be... to get a core dump

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Thu Sep 25 07:16:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have an application that runs another application. With one particular
data set on Fedora 8 everything works fine. But using the same data on
Kubuntu 8 the other application always crashes at the same place. So I
want a nice core dump so that I can see where in the code the crash
happens.

I have built the application using -g.

I have done:

    $ ulimit -c unlimited
    $ install -m 1777 -d /var/local/dumps
    $ echo "/var/local/dumps/core.%e.%p" > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern

I am _not_ running rcapparmor or apport (whatever they are).

I have also tried:

    $ sysctl -w kernel.suid_dumpable=2

but that always fails with:

    error: "kernel.suid_dumpable" is an unknown key

and even if I use sysctl with -e I still end up with

    $ cat /proc/sys/fs/suid_dumpable

printing 0.

Can anyone tell me what to do to get core dumps?

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy