[SWLUG] distro for a non-technical friend

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Mon Jul 6 20:59:26 UTC 2009

I would recommend Ubuntu too. I am fairly new to Linux and have found Ubuntu very straightforward to use.

It installs really easily and is geared towards people who are more
comfortable using GUI stuff (most non-tech savvy people). I just
installed it on an Advent netbook, and a Dell Inspirion (both using the
installer partition manager to resize windows for dual boot (not for my
benefit) ) and it just works flawlessly. Of course not always will it be
this straight forward but if you are tech savvy it will be fine.

Also Ubuntu  has a huge following, so there is plenty of help at hand;

On IRC, freenode network, #Ubuntu-uk, #ubuntu #ubuntu-server
ubuntuforums.org is the main support forums, very active.

Its extremely easy to make a  bootable LiveCD or LiveUSB (I carry a LiveUSB with me...helped me choose my netbook)
So give it a go.

Jon