[SWLUG] Semi-OT - Audio CD's

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Jul 16 09:41:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 10:08 +0100, Mike Martin wrote:
> Hi
>
> For some reason Audio-CD's no longer play in my DVDrw (running F10/11)
>
> May very well be drive starting to fail but only applies to audio-cds,
> other Cd's inc video-cds and dvd cds play fine.
>
> Fairly sure its not the actual CDs as they play OK on my (v old)
> laptop running puppy.
>
> Any ideas what to check and also what modules should be loading for
> audio-cds, anything I've found on-line is ancient

probably out of date, but afair the drive itself typically plays an
audio cd itself, has its own DAC etc and outputs analog audio, thats
what the extra little cable from the drive is for.  but everything else
is done by reading the data.

i think that a modern distro will let you mount the cd and shows you a
bunch of wav files representing the tracks.  try playing one of those
and see if its different.

as it copuld be that the cd play part of the drive has indeed failed,
but nothing stopping you from just ripping the tracks to your hd to
play.