[SWLUG] Router/Firewall

Chris King swlug at csking.co.uk
Fri Jul 17 13:57:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, July 17, 2009 13:16, Terry John wrote:
> I've got a standard Broadband/wireless router set up in a small
> establishment. Casual wireless users are encouraged. But I want to have
> a more secure wired connection to the same broadband connection.
>
> I could do it with a Linux PC with 2 ethernet cards using iptables as a
> firewall. This would give me a valid DHCP as well. The only problem is
> having to have the PC whirring away continuously with no obvious
> purpose. So I'm looking for a low power solution.
>
> Is there a NAT type firewall similar to the std broadband router but
> using ethernet both ways or does anyone know where can I get a small low
> power box that I can configure myself.

Terry

What router have you currently got ? Your existing router *might* be
capable of treating your wired and wireless networks as separate entities,
and isolating them from each other. There's no point over-complicating
things if you've already got kit that can do what you want it to do !

If your router is a little more ancient/low-spec, you could get a simple
router for a Virgin Media/NTL cable connection, and put your wired network
behind that - i.e. you plug the "internet" side of the new router into a
switch port on the back of your existing router, and your "internal"
network sits behind the new one.

If you're already using NAT on the existing router, this does make things
a bit more complex though - double-NAT'ing is horrible.

Chris

--
Chris King
http://www.csking.co.uk/