[SWLUG] .tar.gz file

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Wed Jul 22 18:26:27 UTC 2009

Hen Glowr wrote:
> I know this is going to seem stupid but i have tried to drag and drop
> the eclipse folder onto the opt folder and i've even tried to drag and
> drop the eclipse file and with the same result?

Assuming that cause you're using Synaptic you're also using Ubuntu, it's
probably a permissions thing if you can't drag and drop the folder to
/opt.  Try something like:

sudo cp /path/to/eclipse /opt/

And you'll do it as root so it'll probably work.  It may mung the
permissions tho, so make sure you set them so you can still run the
program.  The lazy way would be set them to 777 and make sure the file
is executable.

Also if you're lazy there's nothing wrong with running programs from
your home dir.  I often do, I have a folder just for programs like that.
 It's not 'correct' and there's probably a vastly better way of doing
it.   But guess what?  I'm lazy.  \o/

HTH

Matt