[SWLUG] .tar.gz file

Andrew Price andy at andrewprice.me.uk
Wed Jul 22 18:45:48 UTC 2009

Hi Hen,

On 22/07/09 16:30, Hen Glowr wrote:
> I want to try and learn all i can about Java. So, i wanted a GUI called Eclipse.

Adding installing-and-learning-Eclipse to your obstacle list is just
going to make your life more difficult. If you really want to learn
about _Java_ I suggest keeping it pure and simple: use a simple text
editor* and head over to:

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

and get stuck into the links below the "Trails Covering the Basics"
heading. After you've learnt Java, then by all means, learn Eclipse :-)

* Text editors is a big subject but if you're just starting out, gedit
or kedit(?) is a good choice, and is usually installed by default. If
you're more experienced then I guess you probably already have a
favourite text editor :-)

Andrew