[SWLUG] Thanx

James Edgeworth diagmato at black0ps.com
Mon Jul 27 22:55:42 UTC 2009

Michael Johnson wrote:
> Actually I'm also a bit puzzled about why ICT courses are always based around Windows. Even at
> uni the sysadmin stuff was Windows-based and UNIX/Linux was rarely mentioned. I could never
> understand why, considering the majority of web servers run some variant of UNIX. Does anyone
> actually use Windows Server?

The problem was that they mixed the modules between different awards -
Computer science shared almost all of it's modules with "Computing".
Their reason was that they do not have the money to seperate them any
further.

They also seemed to hate the idea of keeping a module 'difficult'/on
topic. People went to uni not to do a science, but as a way of getting
into "a very well paying industry". Loads of students sacrificed their
marks to go to the endless social events the union would put on (and
advertise on almost every notice board), and uni's answer to the falling
grades was to make the modules easier.

There used to be subjects such as data structures and algorithms, which
were removed and replaced with "programming". This was also shared to
some of the basic awards, and was just a year of getting started with
java. The second year then had a module for "event driven programming"
which was VB.NET. Guess what? Most the year was how to do if's, for's,
while's and so forth - the same things we went through in year 1, just
again in VB. People STILL found it an absolute struggle, some even
commenting "why are we doing this programming stuff?" "Well, you did
pick computer SCIENCE".

Finally, in the third year, we got onto C programming, in a Linux
environment. Although the first assignment was to write a clone of "ls
-lR", and it was only worth 12.5% of that module. The second assignment
was about semaphores, and worth the same amount. The rest of the module
was writing a report about modern Windows VS Linux, and how they
approach security, development, etc.

The gist is, those who work hard are punished, as the uni tweaks things
for those who are there for a heavy discount on booze. Ideally people
should be interviewed, and those who are there with a scientific
interest should do a proper computer science, and those who "heard it
was a good industry" should go do a seperate computing 'degree' aimed at
the usual office work. Then again, isn't that what college is for?

I sure hope this situation is alien to other university's.

James