[SWLUG] Closed source systems an example

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue Jul 28 10:41:31 UTC 2009

-------- Forwarded Message --------
> From: Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk>
> To: SWLUG General Discussion <discuss at swlug.org>
> Subject: [SWLUG] Closed source systems an example
> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:14:05 +0100

> This is where closed source gives problems. Palm provided ( used to
> provide) a Software Development Kit. but a search and a question on
> their forum seems to show that it isn't available. Without it I could
> not program the machine. My palm was just an organiser, a glorified
> diary and phone book, but not a computer that I could program.

> Incidentally if anyone does know where to find a copy of the SDK  I
> would be grateful.

The PalmOS SDK stuff was always based on gcc afaik, and a quick google
reveals this:

http://prc-tools.sourceforge.net/

The official palm SDK looks to be still available from their website,
but you have to login (free account, or use bugmenot)

https://pdnet.palm.com/wps/myportal/pdnet/kb?faqid=714

I'm really quite interested in Palms new WebOS system that is used on
the Palm Pre smartphone. Its yet another linux based device (like
android* and others) but the programming API that most people are
expected to use, and that most of the supplied apps are written in, is
javascript/css/html running in a webkit derived browser.

so writing new apps is just like writing web apps, with extensions to
the javascript DOM to let you access local storage and other services.

* there are loads and loads of Android based phones appearing on the
market this year, and some look nice, but the idea of having to code in
Java just puts me right off.