[SWLUG] Wireless USB Dongle Help

P.G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 20:57:39 UTC 2009

Could have done with viewing your iwconfig but no worries ;)

Well if iwconfig shows the ESSID, Access Point MAC Address then good.

Next stop encryption key...
Have you tried connecting without encryption?

If that works then ...

Havent picked up your distro but most seem to use wpa_supplicant for
encryption.

Is wpa_supplicant running? Check by ps -ef | grep wpa_supplicant
Its normally run in the background using the -B switch. This is the
command run by the startup scripts on mine:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wext

You can remove the -B to run in the terminal and view its output and
increase debugging by adding -d or -dd or -ddd (increases amount of
debugging)

See how far that gets you...

Oh does your router indicate what machines are connected to it? Does it
consider your computer connected?

PGR