[SWLUG] new website - status update

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Fri Jun 12 22:28:26 UTC 2009

Vladimir Zlatanov wrote:
> I've written a status update and posted it on the website
> (http://beta.swlug.org), and after some soul searching and arguing with
> my inner spammer decided to repost it to the mailing list.

<snip features and stuffs>

Looks good to me.  I can't think of anything much else we need.

> The wiki functionality is enabled across the website. In fact one can
<snip>
> diffs, etc...

I like the sound of the way that works.

> Markdown is simple and widely used on the net,

I think using markdown would be fine.  Again I think all users of the
site will be technical enough to manage it.  I can't see the need to
have an editor there.

<snip mailing list integration>

Is that hard to do?

> The theme is a custom thing designed for swlug. It does require some
> polish. Eventually I'll upload it to drupal.org under GPL. If the final
> setup is ok, it might be a good idea to create a LUG installation
> profile and upload it to the mothership as well.

It looks fine so far.  You are probably right tho, a little bit more
polish would be better.  It would be nice to have a pretty website,
we're geeks so we should have that really shouldn't we?

> The theme requires more work. There are a few visual inconsistencies,
> some of the admin and edit pages require more work. Over the weekend,
> I'll make the theme code public and do a separate write up describing
> the theme. Help would be appreciated.

What kind of help do you need?  Graphics?  Coding?  Post an idea of what
help you need and I'm sure one of us can help.

> Migrating content from the existing swlug website. There isn't that
> much, but still it will be better if we automate that. Database magic
> with squirts of php will be required.

Is that something you can do?  Or do we need a php guru?

> Evaluate and configure automatic url aliasing. At the moment the
> defaults are used. Better ones might be required.

Nice readable URLs are always a good thing.

> Ideas needed. Up until now all was about some basic functionality. What
> else is required?

To be honest, I'd be happy with a really good looking theme and the
functionality we currently have on the beta site.  Thanks for all the
hard work, it looks great so far.  Personally I really appreciate the
work you've put into it.

Cheers,

Matt