[SWLUG] setting up a local network using avahi (bonjour)

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Tue Mar 3 13:51:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how to set up nice avahi (bonjour) networking?

I have a router with 3 network cables: to a desktop, to a Linux laptop
and to a macbook. Usually I have the desktop on and only one or other of
the laptop and macbook -- so they normally end up with the same IP
address. I want to ssh and scp between the machines and I want them to
have names I can remember. I told the macbook in the sharing dialog that
its avahi name is mac.local, but I have no idea how to do the equivalent
in Fedora 10 (desktop) or Kubuntu 8 (laptop).

Is there some nice easy (safe) way to give each machine a nice unique
avahi name so that I can happily do ssh mac.local and ssh destkop.local
etc. without having to care about the IP addresses?

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy