[SWLUG] Colo hosting

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists-swlug at yadn.org
Wed May 20 23:21:19 UTC 2009

swlug <swlug at alicious.com> said
		(on Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:19:34PM +0100):

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="Cardiff+Bay+International+Data+Centre"

We (www.bayhosting.co.uk) used to offer colo in Cardiff's DC, but never hit
the sales needed to make it sustainable (our costs were a major factor - it
was a BT monopoly).  Cardiff's DC is now full, and no longer has colo that
I am aware of.

There has been a new DC mooted nearer Newport (at the old LG plant), called
NGD1.  It was originally to have opened in Q3 last year, but I've not heard
that they've opened yet.  Watch this space.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7341143.stm
http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci1335142,00.html

I fear (from what I've heard on the grapevine) that - like BT's DC in
Cardiff - NGD1 will not really be interested in smaller clients, so I'm not
hopeful that this will prove fruitful, either (for those of us that want
less than 20 racks!).

Perhaps us (south) Welsh businesses should pool our resources for
bulk-buying at NGD1.  Register your interest with me.

Good luck with your search in the meantime.

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org