[SWLUG] website upgrade

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:40:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 13:58, Dick Bain <dick.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/29 Matt Willsher <matt at monki.org.uk>:
>>
>> I agree - I think a forum would be well worthwhile.
>
> I have to agree, especially as the irc has recently been full of
> interesting stuff from Gedge and co helping j0nr set up his mail and
> stuff, shame I didn't keep that log ;-)

I think they compliment each other rather than thinking one is better
than the other.  If you look at most projects you will typically see
an IRC channel devoted to the project and/or mailing list too.

IRC can be useful for real time help when it's needed and discussions
can take place just as much as a forum.  Mailing lists less so IMHO,
but still useful otherwise where would be now ;-)  I can "take or
leave" mailing lists / forums whereas IRC is more Instant.

As for threading in mailing lists, I agree on the previously mentioned
comment - down the client; I have no problems with technical
threading, however, do sometimes have problems with mental threading
when things go off on tangents ;-)

So, I think it's a positive step for something new, still stick with
the list and the IRC though.  All forms of communication are positive.