[SWLUG] spam filtering in Thunderbird, tips?

swlug swlug at alicious.com
Mon Nov 16 16:32:43 UTC 2009

I'm using TB2 on Ubuntu9.10 (with KDE 4.3).

Thunderbirds spam filtering is rubbish. I did a test and found that 10
minutes of training of the Opera spam filter beats TB hands down - I
have tried restarting the training from scratch in TB but it hasn't
helped. I don't really like Opera as MUA otherwise I'd switch, also I
don't want to have to move my Mrs over to a new app unless it's a
critical switch.

I've looked at add-ons but there's slim pickings, one SpamBayes
front-end ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4025 )
looks good but is unsupported and seems problematic to install and
temperamental in operation. I need it to work without sucking up as much
time as manual spam filtering would.

Any suggestions, anyone here using TB got a solution that works without
too much tweaking?

I don't want to route al mail via Gmail or the like either.

Thanks for any ideas.