[SWLUG] how much more CPU performance can one get these days?

Iain Menzies-Runciman ming at gwndwn.org.uk
Fri Sep 18 07:34:21 UTC 2009

Mark,

Having hit the limits of machines several times in the past you may need
to change the problem.

I would assume that you have already done the obvious and optimised the
code you have (also assuming that you have the source code).

>From the sounds of it, it is an iterative process, so just running the
code on many machines at the same time would not help.

Given that you are on a dual core, I am assuming that you are threading
and make the most of each core.

Can the code be parallelised and then split out onto multiple machines
e.g. using something like PVM or MPI? If it can then you can get
yourself a small cluster of cheap systems (e.g. 2nd hand systems at £50
a pop - or if you are like most techies use some of the old systems that
we have just lying around :-) ) and spread the load out onto a
distributed cluster. I managed to get a task from 22 hours down to 45
minutes - but that was PVM spread over 50 machines.

Regards,
Ming
---
Silicon Blade Consultants