[SWLUG] RAID Array data recovery

justin justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Sep 24 20:45:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 21:30 +0100, Matthew Moore wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been having a few problems with my RAID 5 array this evening.  The
> array is three 500gb drives in a RAID 5 config, using MDADM.  /dev/sdb.
> /dev/sdc & /dev/sdd and the array is /dev/md0.  This morning in a bit of
> a hurry I forced a power down, which seems to have corrupted the
> superblock of the array.  I've been unable to create a backup superblock
> (e2fsck -b 32768 /dev/md0) and /dev/sdd doesn't have a valid partition
> table.  So while the array runs fine, it won't mount.  I've tried to
> create a new Raid autodetect partition on /dev/sdd, but that doesn't
> seem to work.  So in rough order I've done:

you have added whole disk devices to the array, none of them will have
valid partition tables as youve used whole disks not partitons within
the disks.  any partition table you can see is an artefact.

does md0 appear to have a valid partition table ?
if it does then that might be why you cant fsck it, because the
filesystem doesnt appear at the start of the disk, you have to access
the sub partiton of it,  is there a /dev/md0p1 or similar ?

or did you put LVM on md0 ?  (try pvdisplay)