[SWLUG] difference between .04 and .10 of ubuntu

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 05:40:07 UTC 2010

Hi Stephen,

On 17 Apr 2010 at 16:56, Write Me wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I have recently moved to Kubuntu 9.10 from Kubuntu 9.04.
>
> Some very simple things do not work as well.  9.10 is using OO 3.1 but
> the display in the status bar does not show all the info it should, such
> as the page number and total number of pages.
>
> There are other things as well.  I have never really understood beta
> versions either.  At the moment I am thinking of going back to 9.04.
>
> I thought I would ask if there is an intended difference between these
> two version each time they are released.  Perhaps .10 is some kind of
> test and things are ironed out by the next .04?  Or is each new version
> intended to be an improvement on the last?
>
> The occurrence of simple things no longer working is too reminiscent of
> Windows and I hope it is just my understanding that needs to be improved.
>
> Any information appreciated

Ubuntu (and its variants, such as Kubuntu) has a new release every 6
months, which come out in April and October.  Hence, the last two
releases, in 2009, were given version numbers 9.04 and 9.10.  9.10 is
the latest release, not a beta release.  The next release, 10.04, is due
out at the end of this month and only a beta version is available for
that yet.

Each release includes the latest release of OpenOffice.org.  As far as
I know, all versions of OOo have page number and number of pages
in the left hand part of the status bar.  Have you got it switched on?
Go to View > Status Bar.  Is it ticked?  If not, click on it to get the full
status bar displayed.

Hope this helps.

Tony