[SWLUG] difference between .04 and .10 of ubuntu

Toby Maxwell-Lyte toby.maxwelllyte at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 10:37:13 UTC 2010

<snip>
> However, that aside.  Can anyone tell me if each release has a beta
> version first and then when all bugs are sorted it has a 'alpha' or
> final version.  Is my annoyance at things having stopped working after
> an upgrade possibly attributable to this?
>
> Or is 9.04 the beta and .10 the 'alpha' or final version?
>
> Wait to hear
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen,

You can see the Ubuntu Lucid (9.10) Release schedule here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

Most ubuntu releases follow the same pattern. Several Alpha releases
followed by a couple of betas, a release candidate or two and then the
final release. If you want a stable release then stick with the final
releases. If you want the latest bleeding edge stuff then go for alpha
or betas, be warned it may well break stuff though.

Further information about their general release process here.
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/ubuntu/release-cycle

Cheers,
Toby