[SWLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 installation woes

James Edgeworth diagmato at black0ps.com
Fri Apr 30 12:54:23 UTC 2010

On 30/04/2010 10:04, Mark Jones wrote:
> Try again using Non-University email account, silly Mark!
>

> On 30/04/2010 10:03AM, "Mark Jones" <weua03 at bangor.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>     I d/loaded and burned the iso for 10.04 yesterday, stuck it in my
>     pc’s drive and rebooted, first problem:
>     I can’t resize partitions, I tried with the setup partitioner and
>     gparted, they both report bad sectors (on a fairly new HDD!)
>     Second issue: using wubi it installed fine, but then wubi tries
>     booting from the wrong partition (hd0,0 instead of hd 0,1))
>
>     Help!

A few people seem to have had the same, or at least a very similar
problem with Ubuntu's partitioner. One person lost his Windows partition
partly because of lack of common sense, partly because the partitioner
couldn't actually "see" the partition. Ubuntu really better get it
fixed, because I can see a lot of people nuking their setup in similar ways.

With that in mind, i'm betting that your hard drive is perfectly fine -
as a double-check, try Fedora, or any other distro's setup and see if it
complains about bad sectors. One idea could be, freshly install Ubuntu
9.10, and do a dist-upgrade.