[SWLUG] Programming language for a dummy

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Sun Aug 1 08:35:02 UTC 2010

On 31/07/10 07:58, Gerald Davies wrote:
> On Friday, July 30, 2010,<matt at matthewmoore.org.uk>  wrote:
>> I guess I could just 'pick one' but I'm just looking for some
>> recommendations.

> I know Java gets a lot of stick, but found that very easy to learn years ago.

I did Java at uni and really hated it.

> Perhaps try a few and see how you get on? I know people that are
> uttery useless in one language, but fine in another.

That's quite a good idea.

On 30/07/10 17:19, Terry John wrote:
 > Sounds like you need to think on how you collect your info to get it
 > into a format you are familiar with. If you are to use an unfamiliar
 > language to do that then once your data is in a familiar form it will be
 > easy to work on.

I'm generally messing with fairly standard stuff, either lists of users,
or lists of networking addresses or syslogs.  It's either in .csv files
or .txt files and they usually (but not always) have a standard format.

Python does seem to be the standard recommendation from many, I'll
definitely give that a whirl.

Out of interest, does anyone on here use Ruby?  What's that like?

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's given me plenty to think about.

Cheers,

Matt