[SWLUG] Hotspot availability

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 11:10:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 11:50 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
> On 16/08/2010 11:20, Sam Radion wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Neil Jones
> > <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >          Those of you who use them, what is the availability of
> >         wireless
> >         hotspots like?
> >         How available are they?
> >         How use able are they?
> >

> > With mobile broadband running at less than £5 a month (I pay £2.50
> > for 1gb) I very rarely use hotspots unless they are both free and
> > quick. they seem so few and far between that travelling miles just
> > to find one pays for the convenience of having mobile broadband
> > albeit slower.
> >

> I guess so but I wouldn't have a lot of use for mobile broadband as I
> am home most of the time.
> It is the occasional use I am looking at.

There seems to be two types of mobile PAYG broadband. What I call the
'monthly use it or lose it' type is expensive for casual use, but I got
a Vodafone dongle about a year ago for about £40, inclusive of an
initial £15 credit. The rate per MB is higher than for the 'monthly use
it or lose it' type, but the credit doesn't expire if you use it every
so often, so it suits our very casual use. We have about £8 credit still
left.