[SWLUG] is usb failure a premonition of machine demise?

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Thu Jan 28 17:11:03 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-28, Michael wrote:
>  What else was plugged in, apart from the USB devices? Some nearby
>  ports will affect the USB ones, so removing the peripherals you don't
>  need might work. I think it's a voltage/current thing, as there's an
>  extra load added for each connected device plugged in, so try a
>  higher-rating power supply and the BIOS settings.

I had exactly the same stuff as I always have: USB keyboard, 4 USB
memory sticks, 20" monitor. I do have a USB scanner but only plug that
in when I need it. Similarly, the laser printer is connected (by
parallel port!) but was off.

However, I've remembered now that after I'd put in the fourth USB memory
stick, nautilus didn't launch and the stick's light didn't come on, so I
took it out and reinserted it---and I think that was when all the USB
ports stopped working.

Anyway it seems to be working okay now... but I'm still going to buy a
new one to be on the safe side. I'll try giving it a hoover (after
switching it off;-) to see if dust was a problem.

BTW I went to Dell's UK site and although they say you can have Ubuntu
with any of their machines, whenever I've tried the "customize" option
it never ever gives Ubuntu as an OS option:-(

So I've asked for a quote from "Mod Squad" in Swansea...

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy