[SWLUG] Postfix woes: Mail Transport Unavailable

Emyr Derfel emyr42 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 11:06:23 UTC 2010

Hi

The old mail system was rebooting about 4 times per hour on average,
and if any POP3 sessions which were open at the time, the messages not
yet purged would be repeated in the next POP3 session, which resulted
in angry staff... I shut the old one down to try and prevent further
hardware damage when the new one seemed to be working consistently for
a few hours (I was able to send from inside to my gmail account).

I can send using
telnet smtp.btconnect.com 25
which combined with postcat gets me out of a slight hole except for
queued messages with attachments.

I've read up on this log line:
postfix/qmgr[3465]: warning: connect to transport private/smtp:
Connection refused

What I've learned is that this is a problem internal to my server. The
confusing part is that qmgr and smtpd are both components of Postfix,
so they shouldn't be startable in the wrong order.

We've started examining a diff of our /etc/postfix/main.cf and the
shipped main.cf.orig, unfortunately there is no equivalent version for
master.cf where the services are defined.

Emyr