[SWLUG] Why I won't buy from Dell again...

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Tue Jun 22 14:27:42 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-22, Gerald Davies wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 14:40, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> > I will get the money back eventually of course since they broke the law
> > (1967 Misrepresentation Act), but their dreadful customer service means
> > it will just take that much longer...
>
> if you had acted fast, you probably would have been covered by the
> distance selling laws anyway IIRC.

I reported the problem (no OS) the day the machine arrived.

I installed Ubuntu myself but after a couple of days & many hours
couldn't get the headphones to work & found that during typing at
random intervals the text cursor would jump and insert semi-random
text---so not even suitable for note taking!

I then filled in Dell's online return & refund form (i.e., after a few
days of receiving it), but crucially I didn't get any acknowledgement.
Then I had to go away for just over a week & when I got back I saw I
hadn't had any acknowledgement so filled in the form again. This time
Dell replied very swiftly to say that since more that 7 days had passed
they would not refund.

I checked with Consumer Direct and they confirmed that since what I'd
received was not what was advertised & ordered Dell have broken the 1967
Misrepresentation Act, so I guess it is simply a matter of how much
of my time Dell chooses to waste before I get the refund:-(

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy