[SWLUG] Why I won't buy from Dell again...

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Tue Jun 22 14:29:58 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-22, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 June 2010 14:40:17 Mark Summerfield wrote:
> > You'd think that it would be easy to buy a Linux machine in the UK.
> >
> > #1: buy a Linux magazine and read the ads... duh, where are the hardware
> > ads for PCs, laptops, and netbooks---or even for servers?
> >
> > #2: look up on Ubuntu or similar sites for machines that are known to
> > work... duh, many are one or more years old, many with US specs and IDs,
> > and hardly seem to be available in UK shops.
> >
> > #3: buy from a vendor that sells Linux machines... duh, tried that with
> > Dell. HP offers a list of its machines that are RHEL compatible.
> > Everyone else seems to be "We recommend W*s 7". I could always try the
> > linuxemporium but their range is tiny and none of their machines matches
> > my needs.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
>
> http://www.dnuk.com/homepage.php
>
> I have not bought one of their boxen myself, but their customers seem to
> swear by them.

I'd never heard of them, but looks like they might be able to sell me a
suitable desktop machine.

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy

                            A true story...
 I ordered a Dell netbook with Ubuntu preinstalled. It arrived with no
 OS at all and Dell's "support" said the don't supply Ubuntu any more.
           Dell gave no apology, no solution, and no refund.
                     So I do *not* recommend Dell.