[SWLUG] Why I won't buy from Dell again...

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 13:30:50 UTC 2010

On Friday 25 June 2010 14:15:54 Mark Summerfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a little follow up... I sent Dell a letter saying that I wanted to
> return the machine for a refund since what they supplied wasn't what I
> ordered. I sent it on the 22nd and it arrived on the 23rd (I'd tracked
> it). Today I had the letter back---with no note or reply of any kind!
>
> I've made a web page (link at bottom of this email) summarizing the saga
> so far, but looks like Dell think there's no such thing as consumer
> protection law... something I expect to find out one way or the other in
> the coming weeks.

Mark -

Since you paid by credit card and the bill came to more than £100.00 (I
assume!!), the credit card is jointly liable and you can claim from them.
(Don't be fobbed off by their initial rejection.)

Moreover, you are also covered by the Sale of Goods Act and several other bits
of legislation referring to goods and services.  I have, I'm afraid, left you
to do further research - but the following 2 links might start you off:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=sale+of+goods+act&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
http://www.which.co.uk/advice/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/index.jsp

Your local Trading Standards Officer might also be able/willing to help.

HTH
Lisi