[SWLUG] Have I been hacked?

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 10:50:50 UTC 2010

You should check the time of /etc/shadow, which is where the passwords
are stored. Probably time to reinstall... Do you connect by telnet or
ssh. If the former, lots of use would give lots of chance to grab the
password. Otherwise an app you use might have been compromised.
Good luck! Neil.

On 6/29/10, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> My on-line webserver
>  is behaving oddly. I cannot access root. The password fails. both as su
> and logging in directly.
>
> I have not changed it and I have used it umpteen times over the last few
> days and it worked.
>
> The date on the /etcpasswd file is several years old. Is there any
> advice anyone can give me on checking
> the box. I can log into it via another ID but it doesn't give me root
> access.
>
> Neil

Sent from my mobile device