[SWLUG] lost and got back CUPS then cannot reinstall driver

Stephen stephanos at writeme.com
Tue Mar 16 09:18:41 UTC 2010

Neil Greenwood wrote:
> On 14 March 2010 17:13, Stephen Constantinou <stephanos at writeme.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Now I am baffled, that two identical versions of CUPS from the same
>> distribution, Kubuntu 9.04, can have differing driver options.
>>
>> On the PC and laptop I have tried to update the cups package using
>>   sudo apt-get cups
>> but I am using the latest version?
>>

> You can use the 'apt-cache policy <packagename>' command on the two
> separate machines to find out which versions of a package are
> available in the repositories.
>
> It might be that one of the machines has e.g. multiverse disabled, or
> you might have an extra non-Ubuntu repository configured. The command
> I mentioned can help pin down the differences in versions.
>

> If you have trouble interpreting the output (it is a bit on the
> cryptic side!), reply and someone here should be able to help.
>

> Cofion/Regards,
> Neil.

Hello All

Following Neil's tip I went looking at the Software Sources to see if
there are any differences.  The Kubuntu Software tabs are identical in
both PC and laptop.  The Third-Party Software tab are not identical
Both have:
http://archieve.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner
http://archieve.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner (Source Code)
file:/var/cache/apt-build/repository apt-build main
The PC additionally has:
http://deb.opera.com/opera/stable non-free
The Laptop additionally has:
Medibuntu - Ubuntu 9.04 "jaunty jackalope" free non-free

I hope this helps and any further help appreciated

Stephen