[SWLUG] Recommendations for a router?

Sam Radion sam at samradion.co.uk
Wed May 19 14:01:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:48 PM, P.G. Richardson <
p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk> wrote:

> One issue I have run into a couple of times is the transmission power of
> the router's aerial for wireless networking. Might not be an issue for you
> but anyway ... fwiw
>
> Bought latest netgear N router, plugged in at home and works fine with my
> laptop regardless of where I am in the house.
>
> Lent it to a friend who wanted to replace his aging D-Link so we set it
> up. The wireless connection to the laptop downstairs was unstable and the
> transmission strength was always low. Restored the D-Link and the
> connection was fine. Lesson learned ;)
>
> Seconded - I have always bought netgear, I am familiar with the interface
and they have always been very reliable for me. However, wireless signal
strength is not the best occasionally my laptop will report it as 'good'
when the router is only in the next room, whearas when I have tried other
brands like d-link  they seem to have a bit more poke, although I switched
back to netgear after the d-link locked up a couple of times which never
happens on netgear for me