[SWLUG] Recommendations for a router?

Daniel Morris danielm at iee.org
Wed May 19 14:08:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 02:13:41PM +0100, Gerald Davies wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 14:04, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a replacement?
>
> cheap'n'cheerful - zyxel (i use)

Not so bad perhaps, if you follow to the bottom of

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4144-how-fast-is-your-broadband-router.html

> something with a bit more (3G backup, etc) - draytek vigor or whatever
> the latest model is.

I can vouch for how woeful the white freebie boxes from Talk Talk are,
I suffered very poor wifi range and the latest family member to switch
over had very slow browsing which I finally tracked down to the router
offering 520b.com as a name server and Linux machines dutifully making
the connection to China each time. This appeared to be hard coded into
the firmware. Windows boxes don't appear to be affected (from TT forums)
as perhaps they don't try all of the name servers given.

 Daniel