[SWLUG] FTP command line help

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 14:24:15 UTC 2010

On 1 November 2010 14:13, Toby Maxwell-Lyte <toby.maxwelllyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 November 2010 14:07, Neil Jones <neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have a crippled server with no root access.
>> I can log into it and I am using sftp to move files across to a new server.
>>
>> One of the sets of files I am moving has a bout 70 sub directories
>> a simple Put command doesn't access any subdirectories.
>> It just copies all the files from the current directory
>>
>> I would like it to recursively copy everything.
>>
>> Is there anyway to do this other than manually changing and creating
>> directories?
>>
>> Neil
>>

> wget could do it for you. A quick google found
> wget -r ftp://username:password@domain.com/directory/

wget won't do SFTP though.

Rsync will... After Neil's description I thought too literally,
instead of considering other commands. You can even use rsync with
both source and destination being remote from the host running the
command (it's much quicker to run it on the source or destination host
though). And don't forget to use compression over a WAN link.