[SWLUG] FTP command line help

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 15:18:31 UTC 2010

On 01/11/2010 14:14, Neil Greenwood wrote:
> On 1 November 2010 14:07, Neil Jones<neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk>  wrote:
>> I have a crippled server with no root access.
>> I can log into it and I am using sftp to move files across to a new server.
>>
>> One of the sets of files I am moving has a bout 70 sub directories
>> a simple Put command doesn't access any subdirectories.
>> It just copies all the files from the current directory
>>
>> I would like it to recursively copy everything.
>>
>> Is there anyway to do this other than manually changing and creating
>> directories?
>>
>> Neil
> Hi Neil,
>
> Can you execute a shell (using the ! command) through the sftp
> session? If so, you could create a tar file, then copy that instead.
>
> Otherwise I don't know the answer...
>

> Cofion/Regards,
> Neil.

Actually I am kicking myself. The solution is to tar the files first and
then use put to put the single file across onto the other
machine. Thanks for the hint.

Put -r doesn't work.

Neither unfortunately did wget.
I can only ssh into the machine and ftp out.
I can't ftp in or use wget. from outside.

Neil