[SWLUG] System build script

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Nov 1 17:18:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 17:01 +0000, Terry John wrote:
> >> I'd like to see what it looks like to make sure I don't leave out
> >> anything relevant in my own script.
>
> >when you do an install manually it writes a kickstart file of the
> >options you chose as /root/anaconda-ks.cfg
> >
> >there is also a kickstart configurator program to help you develop your
> >own ones
> >
> >http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/ch-redhat-co
> nfig-kickstart.html
> >
> >alas its not big on conditionals,  you can do that in the free form
> >scripting %post section, but things can get messy really quickly.
>

> Thanks. I knew about anaconda-ks.cfg but forgot what it was called :-).
> It seems a lot simpler than I was looking for as it contains my choices
> already embedded. It may suffice for what I want. For my own curiosity
> I'd like to know how the inital build is done.
>
> I'll certainly look at the KickStart Configurator

A kickstart file is really just a set of configuration options for
anaconda, if any vital option is missing then anaconda will prompt you
for it. the inner workings of anaconda are hidden from you (unless you
feel like reading the source)

list of options: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

I have used customised kickstart files to build fully automated
installers on a usb key, stick the key in, power the machine on, and
itll do a complete unattended install.

some of the options in there, like partitioning, have a little scope for
variations in hardware, but not many of them.

for the really gritty tweaks i always end up putting a %post section and
writing some shell script to run commands and edit files after
everything else has finished.

for bigger varieties of hardware you can store multiple kickstart files
and offer them as choices on the bootloader (if you build custom install
media)