[SWLUG] Kindle Warning?

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 13:09:10 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I have no intention of getting a kindle. I like my books.I like the fact
they are physical and real.
I have had too many problems with electronics to want to trust my
precious books to a machine.

But one little piece of the terms and conditions really alarms me
" solely for your personal, non-commercial use." So through the evils of
Digital Restrictions Management
Amazon is restricting your use of knowledge. What is Non-commercial use?
Even if you think you have a definition it might
be up to a court to decide on it. So you can read a book at home but not
use the knowledge gained in work?
I'm sorry but I'm not privatising the contents of my mind like this. It
sounds daft to me.

I also found this interesting little link.

Where there appears to be great confusion on how you can use your
downloaded book

http://www.geardiary.com/2009/06/19/kindles-drm-rears-its-ugly-head-and-it-is-ugly/

Neil