[SWLUG] Mobile internet & printers - need hardware recommendations

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 17:39:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 17:15, Philip Barnes <phil at trig222.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> The wifi devices look like a good idea if you intend to use it as a your
> primary internet connection, but if you want it to use on trains, in
> cafes and when out and about, then a dongle or mobile phone is the way
> to go.

No, No.

I've used all 3 Huawei dongles mentioned on regular trips to and from
London via train, in hotels, etc.

The E220 'pebble' USB dongle is more inconvenient in that you have to
get it out of your bag and it's limited to the one device (okay, you
could share via the laptop, etc).  I tend to leave the later 'MIFI'
devices switched on inside my bag and can share it with other people
straight away (travel somewhere in a group and it's also useful).  I
also have them set to 'on demand'.  You can also use them like the old
E220 devices via USB.

I will agree about checking the coverage and unlocking.  For example,
the biggest area of disruption between Cardiff and London is naturally
the Severn crossing area and/or if you go north via Gloucestershire.