[SWLUG] wireless router advice

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Thu Sep 2 17:35:56 UTC 2010

On 02/09/10 17:30, Neil Jones wrote:
>    I am currently connecting my machines through a router that has no
> wireless capability.
> I want to retain this but ad wireless capability for a laptop.
> Despite my email address I connect to the internet via VIRGIN MEDIA's
> cable system
> at home.
> Does anyone have any advice? I don't want a router that combinees a
> cable modem in it just a plain
> wireless router that retains the wired capability.

I guess that you just want a plain ole wireless AP then?  If you already
have a router, you just need a wireless access point.  You can keep the
old router.

I quite linksys kit (you'll hear lots of people slag of or big up pretty
much any brand).  So this should do:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/45025

If you need a router as well, then something like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/52244

Or you could buy a USB/PCIMIA card for the wireless.  I would research
that more carefully as that sort of thing can be tricky on linux.

Matt