[SWLUG] virtualising ipcop?

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 05:47:56 UTC 2010

i have a simple home server that collects my mail and offers it up using imap
and squirrelmail as well as various files. i also have an ipcop firewall box,
it occurs to me that that i'm running two boxes 24/7 when maybe i could make
that just one by virtualising the server and the ipcop on the same hardware.
however the only experience of virtualisation is running virtual machines on
a host rather than using a bare hypervisor.  i'd welcome any comments, also
is it the case that i would need a special kernel for each vm? my hardware
does not have any virtual extensions in the processors that i know of and
i've read that that affects what can be done with them

bascule

--
"zaphod...i just want you to know something, i want you to know that i respect
you;  just not very much" - f.p.