[SWLUG] Linux mobile broadband advice please

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Aug 2 10:26:25 UTC 2011

On Tue Aug  2 10:10:31 2011, Neil Greenwood wrote:
> Telephone hardware at each end of the lines are designed to cope
> with
> any current generated in the wires. BTW, that's why the emergency
> number
> isn't 111, which would have been quicker to dial - noise on the line
> frequently used to generate spurious '1' dialling pulses!

No, that was to prevent the dialling pulses generated from lines
touching in high wind, not lightning strikes.

If you get a lightning strike on a phone line, that can blow a modem
(including your DSL modem) unless you've got a surge protector
capable of dumping the excess current to earth.

> Network hardware really needs surge protectors at each end of an
> outdoor
> cable to protect it from any surges.

I'd expect this to be less important than the phone line, actually,
if it's run horizontally at ground level. It's certainly a good idea,
but in general I wouldn't be running around in pure panic over it.
Just disconnect it if you hear thunder.

Which is generally a good idea with most electronics that aren't
running through a surge protector.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/