[SWLUG] Technical Meetings - What do you want to talk about?

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Wed Aug 10 10:25:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 10:47:31 +0100, lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> WiFi would be awesome, I believe that Sean has a projector/screen we
> can borrow if one is not available.
>
> Not too sure on the capacity because I don't know how many would be
> interested at the moment... Why? What have you got? ;)
>
> M.
>
> Quoting Marcus Davage <marcus.davage at gmail.com>:
>
>> What are your requirements for such a venue?
>> Wifi?
>> Presentation projector/screen?
>> Seating capacity for how many?

Last time we did talks like this in Swansea we averaged around 15-20
attendees.  Also, we charged a couple of quid to cover rent of the room.  I
don't see a problem with charging a quid or two for entry to cover costs.
It didn't seem to put people off coming at all.  Obvious places to look
would be church/village halls as well as community centers.

The hardest thing was getting a projector and people to do talks.

Matt

>> Cheers,
>> Marcus
>>
>> On Mer, 2011-08-10 at 07:25 +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I enjoyed last night and would welcome the chance to attend more
>>> meetings, especially if they have a more technical bent to them.
>>>
>>> I'm willing to deliver talks/workshops on a few topics (see below),
>>> however I thought I'd start a thread to see what other skills we've
got
>>> within the LUG and who else would be willing to talk/run workshops
about
>>> their "pet subjects".
>>>
>>> My interests mainly lie in large-scale systems deployment and
>>> configuration management, so I'd be happy to discuss the following
>>> subjects:
>>>
>>> * Server automation with Puppet/MCollective/Cobbler
>>> * Large-scale deployments
>>> * Capistrano (for rails, PHP and Puppet)
>>> * Change and Configuration Management
>>>
>>> One of the things suggested last night was that these talks might be
on
>>> a Saturday afternoon instead of a weekday evening so that they can be
>>> discussed at length.  I'm in favour of this as long as it doesn't
clash
>>> with the Rugby! :P
>>>
>>> The other thing which was discussed last night was the venue for such
an
>>> event.  Is there anyone on the list willing to host the LUG for free
at