[SWLUG] kernel "screen of death"

phantomjinx p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 12:17:14 UTC 2011

Tony Pursell <ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

On 5 December 2011 11:00, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

On 5 December 2011 08:04, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Twice in the past week my computer has failed to boot first time. Seems
> to go wrong when doing USB-related stuff.
>
> I reset it and so far it has always booted second time. But when I do
> dmesg I get the message for the boot I've just done, not the failure
> boot, so I can't tell you why it failed! Is it possible to get the
> previous boot message?

Run the Log File Viewer where you will find, in particular, syslog.
You should find the previous records in there.

I don't think you will find any details.  My Ubuntu 10.10 crashes often and some times I need two tries to boot it, especially after a crash.

If anyone knows if crash details are kept anywhere, I would love to know so I could add details to my bug reports.

Tony

I haven't noticed on Ubuntu but fedora 15 actually comes with a sigabt kernel daemon for this exact purpose. It might be available in the Ubuntu repository or could be retrofitted.

PGR