[SWLUG] robot suggestions

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Tue Dec 13 15:24:09 UTC 2011

On 13 December 2011 15:03, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying some kind of small robot to learn about
> programming it to walk, avoid, recognize, etc., the usual stuff.
>
> I'm a software person so don't want to solder or anything like that,
> and ideally I'd like to program it from Linux using a language I'm
> familiar with (e.g., C++ or Python).
>
> I've read a bit about the Lego NXT 2 and wondered if anyone had
> suggestions on this?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Mark,

If you want to use C++ then the Arduino libraries are written in C++
and it works on Linux (in fact the compile tool chain is based gcc/g++
& friends) and which there is some electronics involved it's generally
breadboard stuff. We had someone down Hackspace Cardiff a few weeks
ago who had created a remote control device based off an Arduino, Wii
mote for steering, a bluetooth receiver and some servos. He was, I
believe, working on putting sensor on the front for collision
avoidance.

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackspace_Cardiff has details of the
Hackspace including the mailing list and IRC.

Hackspace Cardiff (or Bristol) might be a good place to ask.