[SWLUG] Local council library filters

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 13:42:17 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I have just come across something totally ridiculous that i thought I
would share with you.

Also I would welcome some information on similar famous examples..

I occasionally use the computers at my local library. They have
introduced a ridiculous filtering system.

Last time I needed some printouts quickly of some Acts of Parliament no
less from one of my sites.
The filter had the site blocked for checking. I complained. I was told
that once the filter knew of the site it would be OK.

Today I checked some new pages on one of the sites I maintain.
This time the filter said something about an ADULT filter and again
needed to filter them.
This is preventing and putting people off from visiting my sites and
even more labelling me as a potential pornographer!

It looks as if they are trying the ridiculous task of maintaining a
white list of every page on every site on the internet and are doing it with
some kind of word search system.
Perhaps I should start some pages on some nice garden birds. Starting
with Parus Major, that beautiful creature known in English
as the Great Tit.

Does anyone know what they might be doing in the analysis? Just as well
I don't live in Scunthorpe or Cockermouth.

I'd also bet I could download as much Welsh language pornography as I
liked.

Neil