[SWLUG] Possible SSH Attack

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Fri Jul 15 08:00:57 UTC 2011

 Thanks for the replies.

 Well, for a start I do already run ssh on a non-22 port. I can easily
 set up a group for ssh-only access (within my skills).

 As for the pop side of things, I'm afraid my understanding of the mail
 server is lacking a little. I kind of blindly fumbled my way through
 setting it up following an online tutorial and it works, but that's as
 far as my knowledge goes really.

 I access my mail via IMAP on my phone, roundcube via a browser or mutt
 directly in an ssh session. I 'think' I don't need POP3 but how to
 configure this to help my security problem is still a bit beyond me.

 I did think I had followed a tutorial to set up  my mail as SLS but it
 didn't seem to work, at least when I tried my credntials in my mail
 client as SLS(or TLS not sure the diff) it wouldn't work, put in
 credentials as just plain login and it worked, so I have left it at
 that...again naively thinking, who would want to get into my system, I
 have nothing of interest. Seems I was wrong!

 Will start with the extra security of adding a group.

 Thanks again.

--

 Jon Reynolds (j0nr)
 http://www.jcrdevelopments.com