[SWLUG] Slow file loading in LibreOffice

swlug swlug at alicious.com
Tue Jul 26 20:28:48 UTC 2011

On 26/07/11 19:50, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Tue Jul 26 19:32:49 2011, Dave Cridland wrote:
>> On Tue Jul 26 19:11:09 2011, Edward Evans wrote:
>>> When I try and open a document in LibreOffice (also OOffice) when
>>> my internet connection is down, it takes a good minute before
>>> anything happens.  There is a brief burst of disc and CPU activity
>>> and then nothing till the file opens about a minute later.  When
>>> the internet is up, files open in a few seconds.  Does anyone know
>>> what *Office is doing that needs internet access to open a
>>> document, and how can I stop it waiting for it?
>> Presumably it's timing out trying DNS, but what it's trying to
>> lookup
>> and why I have no idea.
>>
>> I wonder if there's a network activity auditing thing you could run?
> Well, of course, what you do is use wireshark when your IP
> connectivity is up, then see what it's doing.
>
> Dave.
I've just had a little look using "iptraf" (ntop might be good too if
wireshark is a bit intimidating).

I think it's checking your "extensions" are up to date. Personally,
starting libreOffice I get connections:

>     *12.184.192.19:80*  which is
>     http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/
>     *212.219.56.135:80*  which is Uni of Kent mirrorservice

Other options: Maybe you have registered databases that aren't on your
local machine though? Or perhaps your Java instance does a phone home
when it starts up?

HTH

pbhj