[SWLUG] SSH tunelling

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri May 13 14:35:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011, Dave Cridland wrote:

> Yes, of course. If you don't know the license to copyrighted
> material, you shouldn't be copying it.

You wouldn't be copying it in the strictest sense (it isn't stored on your
computer), any more than wathcing broadcast TV is "copying".  You're
simply using a service.

> The GPL, and most open source software licenses, are protected by
> exactly the same laws, and they work just fine across jurisdictions
> thanks to various international conventions.

Not at all.  If someone gives you a copy of some GPLed software then *you*
do not need to agree to the GPL.  You only need to agree to the GPL if
*you* are further distributing it.  This is because, legally, you are not
allowed to redistribute copyrighted material.  A distribution licence
works by the copyright holder agreeing to waive certain rights if you
follow the terms of the licence.  This is enforcable because there is
nothing other than the licence that would allow you to redistribute it, so
the premise is that if you are redistributing it you must have either
agreed to the licence, or are breaking the law.  I.e. agreeing to a
distribution licence gives you rights you wouldn't normally have.

By contrast, an end user licence works by restricting your rights, so
there is no implicit "you must have agreed to this licence otherwise you
wouldn't be allowed to do what you are doing".

The iPlayer T&Cs is essentially an end user licence, so isn't really
comparable to the GPL (which is a distribution licence).  The BBC requires
a licence from the copyright holder in order to broadcast the copyrighted
material, but the viewer requires no such licence to view that material.
Compare to broadcast radio - the broadcaster has negotiated a broadcast
(distribution) licence with the rights holder and the viewer needs no
licence to listen to that content.

--

  - Steve