[SWLUG] SSH tunelling

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:31:33 UTC 2011

Nothing I said contradicts that.  I repeat what I said:

Only because most people now have television, so it made more financial sense
to include the radio licence in the television licence, rather than make
people buy two licences, which the licensing authority then had to collect.
This did indeed happen for many years.  But the underlying premise is that
you do need a licence to listen to radio - it is just that for some time
(probably since before you were born!) the licence fee for radio alone has
been set at zero.

> You do not need to negotiate a licence with the copyright holder in order
> to listen/view copyrighted content.

I never said that you did.  I was merely explaining that radio needed a
licence, and they did not abolish that.  They merely set the licence at zero,
after having rolled it into the television one because it was
disproportionately expensive to collect it.

> For certain technologies (i.e. TV), you are required to obtain a licence
> from the _government_ in order to receive it, whether or not it is
> copyrighted material (i.e. you don't get a reprieve from buying a TV
> licence if you only use your TV to watch old out of copyright films).

Which is exactly what I was saying.  Radio is one of those technologies.  I
know perfectly well that the licence is set by the government, and never said
or implied anything else.  I did not mention copyrights in this context.

Lisi