[SWLUG] SSH tunelling

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Sat May 14 18:36:22 UTC 2011

On Saturday 14 May 2011 17:06:38 Philip Barnes wrote:
> There is an interesting wikipedia article on TV/Radio Licensing here
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom_
> %28historical%29
>
> It appears there has never been a need for a TV and a radio license as
> the TV license has always covered radio, but the radio licence continued
> until February 1971.

The difference is semantic and conceptual.  You could pay for 1)radio  2)
radio and b&w television and 3) radio, b&w television and colour television.
And the licence listed the three accordingly.  There was indeed a "joint"
licence, but it was for radio and television and clearly said so.

Nowadays, the television licence covers radio as well and simply calls itself
a television licence.  (No separate colour and b&w provision.)

Yes, you couldn't buy a television licence without also buying a radio
licence, but we were quite clear that we were still buying a radio licence.

> Up until then you also needed a separate licence for a fixed car
> radio!!!!

The radio wasn't on the licensed premises!

Lisi