[SWLUG] For Sale - Home Theater PC and Keyboard

Matthew Moore matt at matthewmoore.org.uk
Sun Oct 9 14:55:42 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I've got some kit for sale, so I thought I'd offer it up to LUG members
first, in case someone is interested.

Home Theater / Media Center PC - £130

Currently running Ubuntu 11.04 with XMBC Media Center installed.  It's
pretty much finished, just needs a small blanking plate installing on
the front of the BluRay drive.  It's powerful enough to do most things
at a decent rate, especially as you can use VDPAU, which is basically a
way of handing off the HD processing to the graphics card so it's not
all on the CPU.  It could probably do with a bit more RAM and a larger
HDD if you want to stack lots of media on it.

The Silverstone case is very well made and there's plenty of space for
several extra PCI cards (TV Tuners etc).  Also as it's a big case,
there's lots of scope for fanless PSU coolers and lots of soundproofing,
so this could be even quieter than it already is.  I have a DVI to HDMI
adaptor, so it's easy to connect to any TV with a HDMI port.

Why am I selling it?  It's quite big, too big for my fairly small front
room.  Also BluRay support under Linux isn't that great (a requirement
from the wife) so we've got a PS3.  XMBC is however one of the best
Media Center front ends I've ever used, so that side of things is great.
  You could easily install a TV tuner in and use it to run Myth TV.

I can provide photos & outputs of any commands you want (eg lspci or
dmidecode etc) or you can come and take a look, I live in Bridgend.

Spec
Athlon X2 64bit 3800+ (Dual Core) CPU
1gb DDR2 PC2-3200
Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 Rev 2.0
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2539#sp
  4 ram slots, 6 SATA 3gb/s ports, 2 PCI Express x 16 slot,3 PCI Express
x 1 slot, 2 PCI slots, 4 USB (with extra header on motherboard), 5.1
surround sound
nVidia GeForce GT 210 512mb Fanless Silent Graphics Card
250gb SATA HDD
80gb SATA HDD (not currently connected, I don't have a spare cable)
Samsung BluRay Drive
Silverstone Lascala LC17 Media Center Case (120mm fans)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=82&area=

I've also got a Logitech G11 'Gaming' Keyboard for sale - £30

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/434/285?hub=1&debug=0

It is one of those big 'gaming' keyboards with lots of extra macro
buttons down the side, blue LED backlighting and bunch of media keys and
a nice volume control dial on the top of the board.  All the functions
work fine under Ubuntu (automatically detected).  I've had it for a
while, but it's working fine and I've given it a good clean.

If you have any questions about either the HTPC or the keyboard, please
contact me off-list, do not reply to the list.

Thanks,

Matt