[SWLUG] Moving to Cardiff

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Tue May 15 12:24:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Specifically, are there any recommendations concerning ISPs?

If you are living in Cardiff then I would check a few things:

Firstly, whether or not you can get cable and/or DSL.

Secondly, if you're looking at DSL, check the telno and area and/or
see what speeds you're looking at.  There are a few areas of Cardiff
that are still black spots in terms of broadband - areas of Penylan
and Cyncoed do not have cable and are far enough from their exchange
(Roath) that the line length causes problems.

I'm not sure if this is still used and up-to-date, but it may help
avoid this problem:

http://www.broadband-notspot.org.uk

I'm sure others have recommendations - I'm with Zen, but hear that
Andrews & Arnold are good (?).

http://www.zen.co.uk
http://aaisp.net.uk

You may also want to look at who is providing your phone line, e.g.
whether it's a cable provider, such as Virgin, or British Telecom
(BT), and look at them too.

Cheers,

Gerald