[SWLUG] Problem with USB wifi adaptor

Hugh Mayfield hugh.mayfield at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 00:22:18 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to this group - hi to all!  I haven't been to a meeting yet
(I want to but money is an issue, I'm very poor and buying drinks at pub
prices is usually a problem).  I do occasionally hang around on the IRC
channel.

I wonder if people can help with a little problem I'm having with my new
USB wifi adaptor.  It's a Netgear WNA3100M.  I connected it to a spare USB
port and it just worked under Ubuntu 12.04.  However, after about 5-10
minutes of happy Internet use, the wifi connection stops working.  The
connection utility repeatedly asks for confirmation of the wifi network
password, and then after 3 or 4 goes it says "wireless network now
disconnected."  A reboot fixes the problem.

Ubuntu reports that the driver in use is rtl8192cu.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Hugh